I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who doesn’t like banana bread! I think it’s the nostalgia factor for most people. It is one of my 4 year olds favourite snacks and we love making it together because it is EASY and he can be my hands on help.
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 8 TBS melted butter (or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 1/2 cup of plain yogurt (or applesauce for dairy free)
- 1 cup of coconut sugar (or use white sugar)
- 1 1/4 cup of Spelt Flour (optional. You can also just use All Purpose Flour)
- 1 cup of Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup of chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Mash your bananas in a seperate mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, melted butter (or coconut oil), yogurt, and sugar and whisk until combined.
- Add your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Fold in your chocolate chips.
- Add the banana bread batter to a greased or parchment paper lined loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 55 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean to make sure it is fully baked through.
- Let the loaf sit for 10 minutes before removing from the pan onto a wire rack to cool.
If you have bananas that aren’t quite ripe enough to make banana bread, did you know that you can ripen them in the oven?! Place your bananas on a baking sheet into a 350 degree oven until they turn black. Let them cool down and then use them in the recipe!
This recipe can easily be made into muffins . Just grease a muffin pan instead, and the recipe will make 12 muffins. Bake at 350 degrees for 22 minutes instead. Or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
I usually make this recipe with 1/2 cup of sugar because we are used to things being less sweet. You can experiment with the amount of sugar you want to add.
You can make this into PUMPKIN bread as well. Follow all of the same instructions but:
Sub 1.5 cups of pumpkin instead of the 4 bananas.
Add 1 1/4 cups of sugar instead of 1 cup.
Add 1 tsp of cloves, and 1 tsp of nutmeg as well as the 2 tsp of cinnamon.
Add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans as well as the chocolate chips! (optional).
Bake for 50-55 minutes at 350 degrees until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.